The FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar scholarship, to the value of R800 000 per annum, is available to South African citizens for postgraduate study outside South Africa in any discipline at an international university of their choice. The successful candidates will have excelled academically in their chosen field and will have been able to demonstrate:
- leadership qualities;
- strength of character;
- community involvement; and
- the potential to be a destiny changer in his or her chosen field.
Deadline: February 22, 2018
Eligibility Requirements for the FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar Scholarship:
- Preference will be given to candidates under the age of 35.
- Candidates who are currently, or have been studying overseas, will not be considered for this scholarship.
- Successful candidates are required to return to South Africa for at least five years after completing their studies.
- What makes this scholarship different from most is not only the personal interest which Laurie Dippenaar, chairman of FirstRand, takes in the selection process, but also his interest in the on-going progress of the recipients.
- Preference is given to applicants under the age of 35 and this has to be for first-time overseas study.
- Applicants should have applied to and been conditionally accepted by their university of choice for the postgraduate course they wish to pursue.
The decision of the adjudication panel is final and correspondence regarding their decision will not be entered into. The panel reserves the right not to make an award. 2018 will be the 12th year that this prestigious scholarship will be awarded
Application Process for the FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar Scholarship:
- Confirmation of each received application will be emailed to the applicant upon receipt of his or her application.
- The application is evaluated by at least three preliminary evaluators. A long list of around 40 applicants is then drawn up and interviewed in person in Cape Town or Sandton.
- Ten shortlisted candidates are selected for the FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar and should be available for final interviews held in Sandton on Monday 23 April 2018.
- A final announcement will be made before the end of May 2018.