The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) received a three-year research grant for “Enhancing capacity to apply research evidence in policy for youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa” funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). Under the framework of this project, IITA is pleased to announce 20 research fellowships for 2018. This is an action-oriented fellowship for young academics and professionals, and students at the post-course work/research stage of their programs. The research grant program seeks to contribute to policy development in youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa. It is designed to provide opportunities to engage youth to improve the availability and use of evidence for youth policies and decision-making related to youth participation in agribusiness and rural economic activities by providing them with: funding, support, and the expertise of IITA’s scientists; skills and competencies in social and economic research; and a community of other fellows with whom to exchange ideas.
Application deadline: 28 February 2018.
- Awards for Research Grants are up to $10,000 (Proposals with a reasonable higher budget can also be selected depending on the quality of the research proposal).
- Grantees will be supervised by one IITA scientist in close collaboration with their national/university supervisor.
- Grantees will be offered training on research methodology, data management, and scientific writing;
- Grantees will be offered training on production of research evidence for policy-making.
Eligibility Criteria for the Research Fellowship at IITA
- The fellowships cover the following countries: Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, and Zambia.
- Applicants must not be more than 40 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must be:
- An employee of a research institute or university in Africa (applicable to young academics and professionals only); and/or a student registered in a PhD or Master’s program in recognized universities, majoring in agricultural economics, agribusiness, or economics or a related social science, and must have finished their university course work (applicable to students only).
- The duration of the research should not exceed 6 months.
Selection Criteria Evaluation
Criteria will include the importance of the proposed policy issue, the strength of the methodological model, and proposed analysis of the study. Additionally, the review criteria will include:
- Is the policy issue clearly defined?
- What is already known on the issue?
- How does the methodology relate specifically to the policy question?
- Does the analytical plan fit the question and the data?
- Is the applicant qualified to carry out the proposed study?
Submission of Applications must be submitted electronically in English or French, by email to IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org or online at…. Applicants will be asked to enter specific information in text boxes and upload documents in PDF format.
The deadline for submission is 23:59 WAT, 28 February 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals in advance of the deadline. Contact IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org if you have questions regarding the application or submission process. All applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.